6.11.2008

Meeting 2/3 of Green Day

It's kinda crazy how 'everything happens for a reason'. All my flights ended up being early on Monday as a flew back home to Cali. I caught one flight in particular that was 4 hrs earlier than the one I was suppossed to take. That never happen but, it did that day. So, I was in San Francisco at the Red Carpet room visiting with my mother in law. She told me to wait for her to come get me before going to my gate just in case anything had changed with the flight. SHe then began getting really busy working. I saw that time was running out and I needed to get to my gate whether or not she was coming with me. SO, I shot out the door as she said "just wait a few more minutes." I left any way. And then I saw these two guys walking right in front of me. I said 'these guys look familiar, where do i know them from....wait a second, i don't know them...It's GREEN DAY!'. So, I kinda freaked out. I took a picture of them from behind.



I wasn't sure what to do. But, if anyone would know what to do I knew it would be super Green Day Fan Alicia. I gave her a call for further instructions on how to approach the Green Day. She said I needed to go talk to them and some how make sure they heard her name. And I was totally going to need concrete picture proof if I am going to tell people I met 2/3 of Green Day.





I walked up to them and said "hey there, would you mind if I get a picture with you? " Mike then said "If you can be discrete and quick about it, and then we just go back to being regular guys." I said "Sure... you ARE regular guys and I understand that you just want to chill." I got some other fan to snap a photo of us. It was rad. I talked with them for a bit about my super fan friend Alicia and her dedication to the green day for many years. Tre Cool touched my sweatshirt with the tapes and headphones on it and said he wanted one.. and then he prcoeeded to touch the star on my neck and said "Nice tat." He then asked if I played any instruments and I said I did play drums. He then touched my hand checking for calouses..which I still have a bit of...I explained to them that I gave my drums to my little bro, hoping to keep him interested in music not other things. Mike said "Tell your bro to keep his mind on the music and off that headache inducing weed shit."
My impression was that Mike was more of the stereotypical 'punk'. And he really didn't want to draw attention to them being there. Tre Cool on the other hand was super happy fun spaz and I really enjoyed his energy. And the fact that he touched my 3 seperate times. It was rad. I thanked them both and moved on to my flight.


i know they are just regular people. but, it was pretty sweet to run into them like that. who else will i run into in the great land of california???

8 comments:

:) said...

I can make these pictures bigger later on. I am at work now and work doesn't let me get into photobucket and edit.

sisterlovemoon said...

coolness with this opportunity, alicia was totally stoked when i talked to her about it, i didn't even know you played drums, that's cool we should've had a band called the travelin bag girlz, wouldn't that just be the silliest, i can play piano, who's up for this enetertainment of the ears? oh can play the bass, and the clarinet, if that's any help and the tambourine, symbol, whatever, i will just stand there and look pretty and sing yea yea yea, whenever i find it appropriate!

pissantONwheels said...

That is so kickass, how very random. Thats such a great way too meet a band, its cool getting a chance to meet people you dig at their shows but you can't really have a conversation in those circumstances.

serialstar said...

that fricken rocks! and I am crazy jealous!!! woo-hoo for green day and meeting sweet peeps!!!

Sierra said...

YAY!! I suppose after basically studying these guys for a good chunk of my life, the way you described them is how I imagined, Mike has always been a little behind the scenes kind of guy, and Tre, well come on, in some interviews I have of them he is always the one to say the most random of things like "Brad Pitt!!", then all of a sudden run off, only to return with someones cane or something!! HAHA!! While Billie and Mike laugh and sometimes shake their heads. I feel as if I know them, its cool you got to meet them, a part of me is indeed jealous, only the part that obsesses over them!! Oh wait, this is the whole me!! =) Tre totally touched you, I was not aware that you thrashed on those drums lady!!! Yay for California and the people you may run into!! this is long!

:) said...

i can totally thrash on the drums! i suck at keeping the beat steady for very long but, not bad for self taught. it was my therapy. and now it's my brothers therapy. we had so much fun playing together when i was in iowa. he taught me some new beats as i taught him some new ones too. yay!

sisterlovemoon said...

music is the best therapy! i was a band geek.

Sierra said...

I agree music is therapy, I used to have hit sticks, they ruled, nothing compared to an actual drum set tho, just battery operated sticks lol, and my keyboard, and trumpet, didn't really thrash on my trumpet, well sorta, I self taught myself some Reel big fish, an easy one, dunno if it was the right notes or not, but it sounded the close enough for me!! I just rock out now, and stuff. ok bye