11.30.2008

Apocalyptica

Apocalyptica is a wonderfully innovative band that plays heavy metal cello. Not just one heavy metal cello, but 4 heavy metal cellos! With long hair and eyeliner these are not the typical classical musicians, although they are classically trained. As all talented and gifted artists do, they push the limits of their medium and found unexplored territory. Here's 'Path':




They work with a variety of guest vocalists and I particularly like this song because it's not too heavy metal scary, but almost like a lullaby. It's called 'Faraway' featuring Linda Sundblad:



You can find a bunch of Metallica covers on YouTube and I think what's fun about that is that the audience sings the lyrics while the band shreds. Notice the crowd participarion on 'Seek and Destroy':




Incidentally, I might add that the guy with short hair and funky beard is totally do-able. I mean TOTALLY.

2 comments:

Sierra said...

I had had a friend introduce me to them as I pretty much just figured I wouldn't like them much so I just didn't really care...um...until I hear them of course!! It's quite intense and cello's are freaken beautiful anyways...how can I not like?! They put a sweet spin on heavy metal, and it's great!!

Angela said...

Damn straight.